Opening Date Announced for Royal Surrey’s New Cancer Centre
In a major boost to MP Jeremy Hunt’s campaign, the Royal Surrey has announced that the new Cancer & Surgical Innovation Centre will open in November 2023.
Following a £25 million investment by the NHS, which Jeremy Hunt helped secure last year, the South West Surrey MP launched a campaign to help raise additional funds for the pioneering new centre which will provide much needed cancer and surgical services to residents in the surrounding area.
Jeremy said: “ We have already received tens of thousands of pounds in donations which is quite amazing, but more is needed for this £30 million project which will help reduce the worrying post-Covid backlog. Through my work as Chair of the Health Select Committee, I have become more concerned about the 45,000 fewer people who started cancer treatment in the first wave of the pandemic which is why this new centre will be a game changer in providing first class cancer diagnosis and care.”
In December 2021, Jeremy met with NHS England Chief Executive, Amanda Pritchard to discuss the project. She said: “We need to make sure we have got capacity to respond to all patients coming forward for care whether chemotherapy or radiotherapy…and this centre is going to play a really important role.”
Designs and planning are currently being finalised by the dedicated project management team. The new centre is expected to include:
- A full redesign of Royal Surrey’s theatres to support modern pathways of care for a high volume of cancer surgery as well as benign specialities such as Trauma and orthopaedic and ophthalmology.
- New spaces for patients to prepare, rest and recover from surgery.
- New equipment and technology, including new robotic surgical equipment. Surgical robots are predominantly used for cancer surgeries and benefits include fewer complications and faster recovery times.
- New theatres to increase capacity. Several thousand more patients will receive surgical procedures every year, including life-saving cancer surgery, lowering waiting times at a time of unprecedented demand.
- Redesigned short stay surgery facility and a revamped training and education facility to train the next generation of surgeons.
Louise Stead, Royal Surrey NHS Foundation Trust CEO commented: “My team are now just incredibly enthusiastic to start treating our first patients. Jeremy has helped us get this project off the ground, now we need your help to finish the job”.
Anyone can support this fantastic initiative and every penny counts. For more information on how to support the Cancer and Surgical Innovation Centre please visit: http://www.royalsurreycharity.org.uk/Appeal/surgerycancerappeal
Or call 01483 464 146.